9.08.2011

Why I Can Food.

Corn Relish - recipe here
A few weeks ago I was talking to a farmer who was really concerned about the price of food in America. He was saying that there isn't enough farmland here to feed our own people, and of the farmland there is, a lot of it isn't used to grow food for humans but for animals, or it's used to grow items we export. Now, I don't know about the statistics of what he was saying, but I do see the cost of groceries rising every time I set foot in the store.

I went to the grocery store today and was appalled at the prices of items I know cost only 50% of what they do now, 2 years ago when I was in college. I was broke then, just as I am now, and paid extra attention to prices. Every year more and more families are finding it difficult to make ends meet, food banks are extended beyond their means, and people are going hungry. We won't even go into my feelings on how disgusting I find it that we live in a country of such wealth where the people starve.

People are having to find an alternate source of food and more Americans are planting gardens every year. I think this is awesome. I love my garden and my neighbors' gardens. Not everything I can comes from my own garden. I'm fortunate enough to live in a farming community where I can easily do a craigslist search and find lots of fresh produce for incredibly great prices.

Some of the produce I eat fresh, but the majority of it gets canned and put in the cellar. I do this because it's a great way to preserve food and save money all year long. Sure, canning is time consuming, but it is also really fun and the sense of satisfaction you get when opening a jar of something you made yourself is amazing.

I love knowing that if there ever is a time where I can't afford groceries, or at least as many groceries as we normally get, Jake and I will be okay, we won't starve because in my basement is a room full of things we can eat, including multiple types of jam, corn, pickles, asparagus, green beans, peaches, etc. I also stock up on bulk foods like flour and sugar so at least we'll be able to have bread. I don't want to come off as one of those people who thinks the apocalypse is coming but I do think we should have a stash of food because what I used to be able to get for $100 at the grocery store isn't getting me as much anymore.

I remember when I was growing up my mom had a giant cupboard full of aluminum cans of soup, beans, veggies, etc. I always thought it was kind of overkill but now I find myself doing the same thing, worried about the same things. I like that canning can help alleviate some of the stress I have about the cost of groceries. I like that we're slowly becoming more self-sufficient in our household.

Also, it's so nice to have jars to give as gifts, it saves me a ton of money and people usually love that you're giving them something you made yourself. I hope to be able to get a pressure cooker soon so I can expand my canning to include things that can't be canned in a water bath.

10 comments:

  1. You have really inspired me! They are big into canning here in Finland, so maybe I will give a go at it. What is the worst that could happen, right!?
    Oh wait, botulism, haha. Just kidding. That corn relish looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want to get into gardening and canning, but from the outside it looks very complicated! I agree that grocery prices are ridiculous right now and the most annoying thing is that all these "couponing" people are saving money left and right, but since we buy almost entirely fresh foods and basic ingredients (like flour, etc to make bread) we can't really take advantage of coupons ourselves. Also I feel very "get off my lawn!" when complaining about food prices, haha. When did I get this old?

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love that you can. i would love to but just don't have the time but i should make some. it is always a good idea to keep extra food, i should do that just in case too. i am interested to find out what you can from your pressure cooker. i have one and still have not used it!
    xo,
    cb

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're amazing. I wish I had the time and motivation to do more of this. I feel like I had more motivation when I lived in Colorado *sighhomesigh* In the big city, in an apartment that can barely store a couple of week's worth of food and with everything once could ever want within a few minutes drives it's damn hard to get motivated.

    Excuses, excuses, right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would LOVE to learn to can. I also want a garden. Maybe soon. Love the corn relish recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a well kept secret - buying what's in season, eating it and canning what you can't eat significantly reduces your grocery bill! AND ... with SO many recipes on the internet, you can eat something different every night made from the same ingredient without getting sick of it!!

    And you can win cool prizes with your preserves at local shows and fairs ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. HEY! Good news, you have inspired me. I am on the look out for cans at the local flea markets (have seen some there before) and I am going to try my hand at canning! Found a great recipe for canned Bruschetta, and with tomatoes being so cheap right now, I want to get on that.
    Thanks for linking up to the blog hop this weekend. Maybe others will be inspired to can too!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think that's awesome. I tried canning this summer. and failed miserably. But you inspired me to keep trying!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I literally just asked the boyfriend if we could start a garden. We'll have to wait until next year but he agreed. That corn relish looks amazing. I think it's time for lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very inspiring! I canned peaches for the first time last year, and it looks more daunting than it is. It's good to see someone making real food (as opposed to processing it)! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are like rainbows and sunshine with a few unicorns added in. Thanks for leaving one. :)