6.13.2012

Crocheting in Public.



I spend a lot of time in waiting rooms while Jake has appointments and I don't like to sit idly reading the awful magazines you so often find in waiting rooms, so I bring my crochet. I always have a fun time watching people as they try to surreptitiously watch me crochet. I get baffled stares, looks of admiration, and especially at the VA, I get elderly gentlemen coming up to me and asking where a young lady, such as myself, learned to crochet. They then proceed to tell me stories of how their mother used to knit or crochet when they were kids. I'm glad my public crocheting doesn't embarrass Jake because I love hearing these old stories of favorite blankets or hats made long ago.

I also use the waiting room time to work on old projects I put to the side. This blanket has been in the works for close to a year. I keep it in a bag in my car to bring out whenever I have some down time. I'm in no hurry to finish and the stitches are so easy and repetitive that I have no problem picking it back up months and months later.

For those of you visiting from Ginny's Yarn Along, welcome! I'm not currently reading anything, hence no book photo, but I'm thinking about going to the library and revisiting some of the books I loved from my youth. I've gotten to the point where I remember I loved a lot of different books but I can't remember what they were about so I need to refresh my memory. What book did you love as a child?

8 comments:

  1. I have just started to crochet in public, and I love that it is such a great conversation starter.. I even had one lady at the library, go and loan herself a book on learning to crochet after our conversation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had a couple of times when I decided to take some crocheting into work to have a go and waste my dinner break when it's been too cold and or wet to get outside for a walk. The amount of stares was slightly off putting I will admit, it was like they'd never seen people do crafts or make things before!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is unusual to see someone doing something worthwhile such as crochet, while in a waiting room. That's why you stand out. Most people are playing on their iphone ot tablet. Good for you for keeping grounded and doing something crafty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you are so good at picking up old projects, i really need to work on this. i am sure you hear some really cute stories from the va's and i am sure they don't mind chatting it up with a pretty lady either :)
    xo,
    cb

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Little White Horse by Elizabeth Goudge, all the Famous Five and Secret Seven books, Everything by Frances Hodgson Burnett... Oscar Wilde's Fairy tales... gosh, there are so many :) I love sharing them with my kids!
    I knit and crochet in public too... I hate not having anything to do with my hands. I have never really had any comments, but then that might be because it is almost always in restaurants while I wait for food LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Knitting / crocheting in public is something I haven't done yet :) Although I think I should try it :)
    I love the idea that it starts a converstaion.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the colorways and I've started knitting in meetings at work. So it's not wasted time either (:

    I am kind of doing the opposite of you. Reading a lot, doing handwork a little.

    We have quite a few trips coming up soon so that will mean a lot of knitting (:

    Have a great week, dear one. I hope all is well...

    ReplyDelete
  8. visting from y.a., i think its so great your crocheting in public, you'll give others confidence to do it too :) i love the conversations that have started and the friendships i've made knitting everywhere!

    i hope you find that special book! i loved pippi longstocking, and so many more!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are like rainbows and sunshine with a few unicorns added in. Thanks for leaving one. :)