4.16.2012

Pickled Asparagus


Some people can year round but for me, canning season generally starts with pickled asparagus. It's Jake's favorite so I keep an eye out for good prices and try to put up a lot of it. In Idaho you could pick your own all over the place but I don't know of anywhere to do that here. I have been doing some research into local u-pick farms for canning a little later in the season. I'm excited to get into the full swing of canning again this year.

For those of you who aren't obsessed with canning jars, Ball began producing pint and a half jars again, they are pictured above. I am excited about them because they're the perfect size for asparagus and also make great drinking glasses. They're on store shelves now and come 9 to a box.


6 comments:

  1. yay you got some! that is excited! i have never had a pickled asparagus before, but i am sure if you made it is SUPER yummy! i want to try canning again, it was really but i want to make something that i actually want to eat!
    xo,
    cb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they'd be really tasty in a bloody mary instead of the celery. YUM!

      Delete
  2. Those look delectable!! I love using mason jars for cups too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's pretty much all we use because I have a zillion of them and then when I need an extra of a certain size, it's usually available in my drinking cup cupboard.

      Delete
  3. i love how asparagus(es??) look. is that weird? but when i was young, i remember trying to pretend joust with them. my left hand would asSPARagus with my right hand. ok lame. i shall shut up now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahahaha this is my favorite comment ever. aSPARagus killed me.

      Delete

Comments are like rainbows and sunshine with a few unicorns added in. Thanks for leaving one. :)