![]() |
| 15 year old me is the one with the pink hair |
We only visited for a brief moment as we were in a parking lot and the wind was howling, as it tends to do on the Oregon coast. She said something along the lines of, "So you're still in the bay?" and I instantly felt a little pang somewhere inside of me. I explained that I had just moved back to be near my dad as he's getting older and has had a lot of health concerns this past year. Still though, I felt like I should have accomplished more, I should have graduated from college by now, I should be doing something amazing, and I'm not. Now, I know she didn't mean it like that at all, and that I was reading too far into it, but I couldn't help myself.
As I drove away I began to think about how I have yet to graduate from college even though I only have about 1 more year of classes to earn my Bachelor's degree. I do have plans to someday graduate, it's just not on my radar right now. College used to be my entire life but in the past few years, I've come to realize that what I was studying will not really help me in the lifestyle I want to live and I can't justify the costs of college right now. My entire set of goals has shifted.
Right now, I want to be with my family. My dad is still fairly healthy, but I have noticed in the past two years, he's had an increase in medical issues. You have to remember, my dad is older than those of most of my peers, he's 76 years old already, and I'll probably lose my dad before a lot of my friends will. So I want to be here. Being with my family and college aren't mutually exclusive, but I'm at the point where I wish I had all the money that I spent on college so I could use it to help fund my hobby farm dream, or my move to Canada dream.
Even though I have yet to earn my degree, I think my high school guidance counselor would be proud of me because all she ever wanted for all of us kids was to be happy, which I am. She wanted us to learn, to grow, and to turn into awesome adults. I don't know that I've accomplished all of that, but I sure am trying. I'm slowly fulfilling my dreams, even if they aren't necessarily the traditional ones.

This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteCollege is way over rated. Sure it is nice once you finish to have a fancy piece of paper you can hang on the wall. It won't open a lot of doors to better jobs, and will seldom change your life. Be happy and do what you want to do!
ReplyDeleteits funny what running into the past can stir up but what you realized is that your happy and that is what is important. it is the same thing as comparing yourself to someone else and not being on the same track as they are. we all have different lives so they take different routes. as long as we are living a wonderful happy life then it shouldn't matter what we have or haven't accomplished. you are an amazing person and i am very happy for you that you moved back to oregon to be with your family <3
ReplyDeletexo,
cb
Your own happiness is far more important than anyone's opinion of your accomplishments!
ReplyDeleteBy the way, I picked you out of that photo before even looking at the caption :)
Hey, at least you've got a true sense of what direction you want in life.
ReplyDeleteHey Jordan, chin up! I agree very strongly with the above comment. I too went to college just because everyone else did. But thankfully, i chose to do what I love and majored in theatre instead of worrying about what degree gets me the money making jobs!
ReplyDeleteAnyway, you have such a unique personality I'm not sure if college fits you! Haha, that's just going by what I know of you over the blog. But I do admire you putting family over everything else. Filial piety is a strong Chinese value! :)