Every time one of us goes to visit the Aunties, we inevitably return home with a car packed full of things they have saved for us. They have paper bags all over their house with our names written in thick black marker on the side, where they sort things that they want to give to us. One thing I always return home with is peanut butter. I'm not sure why, really, but they always give me peanut butter. It's fine by me, I like making peanut butter cookies.
Sometimes we return home with things that are just a bit cooler than peanut butter though. For instance, this trip I was gifted just over 100 canning jars, many of them have been used by my Aunties to put up all kinds of yummy goodness in the past. It's no secret that I love canning and pickling so I was really ecstatic when my Aunt Dae-Dae (Daisy) offered me the jars. Now to wash, sort, and store them. Peaches and nectarines will be ready for u-pick in a couple of weeks and I'm so excited to use some of my new jars.
There was an unopened box of these beauties from 1989. They are gorgeous and I can't wait to make something really special to put inside them.
The sides have fruit all over them. These are so much cooler than the jam and jelly jars you can purchase now-a-days. I think I will probably keep these for personal use because I just love them so much and I don't know if I could give them away without a promise of having the pretty jar returned.
I love those jars! I've been saving jars from pickles and jelly and pasta sauce recently and my roommates are all like, WHAT? Hahaha.
ReplyDeleteThey just don't understand! :P
Jealousy! I love those tiny jam jars. My dad found a couple for me and I totally covet them.
ReplyDeletethese are great, I'm looking forward to peach picking too! I loved canned peaches with cottage cheese, mmm.
ReplyDeleteOoo, those are beautiful!!! I am especially fond of them because they're from 1989, my birth year! ^_^
ReplyDeleteI fancy having a go at making red onion chutney.
ReplyDeletei have some of those jars and i love them! your aunties sound so cute, remind me of the misters mom. whenever we go up there is always a bag for us to take home, so sweet! now you have lots of jars to put jams in!
ReplyDeletexo,
cb
Amazing! Makes me want to make preserves!
ReplyDeleteLove it! How very sweet of them. I am sure they appreciate having you around and that you really enjoy using these kinds of things :) Love those little ones, too cute!
ReplyDeleteAh man, look at that. So cool that you inherited all of those. Just think of all the possibilities you have for what to fill the with. I *love* canning jars with decorations on their sides. They have so much personality!!
ReplyDeletehow fantastic! old canning jars are the best .... jealous of your little, err big, collection!
ReplyDelete