Not even an hour ago I got bit by a wasp. All I could do was let out a mini scream and stand there because it hurt so badly and the wasp was still on my arm. Jake was at the other end of the house, he heard me yell and didn't know what was going on. He stared for a second and then ran over, walked me inside and got me a bag of heart shaped ice and a hug. I was bawling. I couldn't tell you the last time I got stung but I know it was back when I still went to daycare so I had forgotten how badly they hurt. Tomorrow I'm going to commit wasp genocide.
To be fair, I was invading his home territory but I didn't know he and his waspy friends lived there. Well actually, I was more like Fern Gullying his territory. I guess one of our landlord's friends had emailed her that it looked like we hadn't, "watered or cut the grass in awhile." Well, that isn't technically true. I have had a sprinkler attached to a hose for weeks but the only water spigot in the front of the house is to the secondary water. In our town, during the summer, secondary water is turned on, and free to use (straight from the river) but for some reason, it doesn't work well in the front yard. I think perhaps the pipe is clogged. The water pressure can change drastically depending on how many people are using it as well. So, I have a sprinkler set up, it just doesn't work sometimes. I attached a bunch of hoses together and brought them from the back of the house (where the secondary water works great) around to the front. It's been working well and the grass has perked right back up. Jake didn't want to mow when the grass was yellowish, something about a fire hazard.
So tonight we decided to finally mow the lawn, which wasn't even that long, I mean, it is way shorter than the empty foreclosed house next door. While Jake was mowing, I got my gardening gloves and a pair of scissors and went down the fence line cutting weeds. They were getting pretty tall. We don't have a weed whacker and can't afford one since Jake's pay was cut. I don't really mind cutting it down with scissors, it takes forever but I feel good about it when I'm finished. I was about 85% done and that's when I got bit. I didn't even notice the hive until after Jake patched me up and I went back out there to get the remaining 15% of weeds. I got one snip in, saw the nest, and decided I'll be back tomorrow with a big can of wasp spray.
Someday I want to live in a more rural area, on about 5 acres. I keep pointing out areas I like when we drive past and say to Jake, "I just want about that much land, how big is that?" and they're always about 5 acres. In this rural area, my neighbors won't be so close, and they can shut up about my overgrown yard. In fact, I might not even have a yard, just a big garden in the back and a field of wildflowers in the front. I want chickens that can roam and maybe a tire swing too. Jake's dad has some land for us, 10 acres, but there isn't a house on it so we'd have to figure that out. Plus, it's in a place I refer to as being dead. It just feels dead to me there but that's because it's a desert area full of sage brush and I'm from a place full of leafy green forests similar to the Great Valley on The Land Before Time. I'm curious to see how long I last until I decide to just move there. I can always plant some trees, right?
Getting stung and bit are both nasty feelings. :-( It's been awhile since I've been either. The Boy and I have had similar experiences when I cut myself though... he swoops in and saves the day.
ReplyDeleteI also want about 5 acres so I can have a dog and be left alone and what not as well.
This post was really well written, even if it was about you getting bitten! :-D
oh you poor thing! i hope it is feeler better, gosh i couldn't image what that feels like since they bite not sting.
ReplyDeleteyea that is the one thing about neighbors they can be so nosy sometimes!
xo,
cb
I haven't been stung by anything but mosquito in years. I am so sorry!!! When I was a little girl, I got stung every. single. time. I went in the pool. -_-'
ReplyDeleteI also want to live on a big patch of land. Jen and I have talked about having a little ranch or some such, as we'd love to have riding horses. And I want goats SO bad!
Have you ever seen those little log cabin type houses that are on display? Or is this just in Utah? Anyway... They are little cabins that you can call and order and while you DO have to put them together, I hear they are a lot cheaper than most houses. But I'm not that knowledgeable about this sorta stuff. ;) I'm learning, though!
If you've ever heard the song "Mayberry" by the Rascal Flatts, that's us to a T.
Hope you're feeling better!!!
i hope you're feeling better!
ReplyDeletelots of land sounds great, but we currently live with HIS parents.. so any place of our own would be divine. but i definitely want a yard where we can plant and grow our own food and YES to free range chickens!!!