Yesterday was a tough day. It was beautiful outside though. Anyway, I hadn't slept well and apparently down in Colorado, Jake hadn't been sleeping well either. As I've mentioned before, he has a severe case of PTSD from his time in Iraq. He has really bad anxiety issues and doesn't like being in crowds or unfamiliar places. Being away from home is really hard on him, especially if he has to go alone. This morning I went to pick him up from the airport in Boise and he seemed okay, just really tired. We went out to lunch, hung out in the sun for a little bit and then went inside to just kind of lounge since we were both tired. That's when Jake noticed a weird little rash on his leg.
It was round, red, kind of flaky and dime sized. I tried googling it and came up with results that it was either a small rash that's just natural (apparently they appear on legs at times) or a ringworm. For you and I this wouldn't be a big deal but for Jake with his PTSD, it brings on extreme anxiety. He starts thinking about all of the bad things it could be, gets really sweaty and starts shaking. We just moved to a very tiny town and don't have a personal physician, the VA is an hour away and he's not setup there yet, and the local urgent care clinic closes at 6 pm, so we ended up going to the ER. The ER here is tiny and very slow. The nurses were all hanging out chit chatting. I'm hoping the bill won't be too ridiculous since they didn't take any blood, hook him up to anything, or do anything more than look at his leg and tell him he has ringworm. Did you know it's actually a fungal infection and not a worm at all, and it's also contagious? Joy!
We went to the store and got Jake some Lotramin and now we're back home, safe, sound, and a little less anxious. The poor guy apologized over and over that we had to go to the ER for a simple ringworm. I don't really mind if it puts his mind at ease and now that we know what it is, hopefully I can avoid getting it on my face or something equally as ridiculous that would totally happen to me.
Also, Happy April Fools Day.
Edit: Post isn't an April Fools Joke.
Wait, was that all a joke?! I am confused :)
ReplyDeleteKnowing me, it would end up on my face too. I hope the ER bill isn't too much, but at least it's treated now!
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh! Not the most favorite way to spend a day a day, huh?
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for stopping by my blog :)
lol Oh Jordan! You usually get it from your animals. Check your dog and cats for bald spots that might be itchy. I've had it twice, got it from work. No biggie and easy to treat. At least you can get the cream at the store, so if it happens again u know what to do! Tell him not to scratch it, and then scratch somewhere else :)
ReplyDeletePoor guy! That must have been stressful.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing your story, I am a Veteran (RETIRED at 40) , i constanly get weird infections and blood chemistry, to the "normal peeps" its like ok lets just go to Dr. etc and get treatment, but for me and alot of my mates this is a major "not embarasment" but a chance for stragers to ask you to explain why you are ill, and sometimes just doing the explaining make me ill (catch 22), i related alot to you post, and maybe i will sleep tonight? Thankyou for exposing your vunrable side. ;-)
ReplyDelete