4.02.2011

My Cat is Being a Little Punk.


He's bigger now but even as a little guy he had to stick his nose into everything. 
Have any of you ever killed a pet? Me either, because I'm not a crazy psycho murderer or a character on Criminal Minds but today that might change. I had purchased some chives and yesterday I transferred them to a larger pot. I put it on the kitchen counter because we have squirrels outside and I need to devise some type of fencing to keep the squirrels out of my plants.


Today I go into the kitchen and notice a pile of dirt on the floor. One of my cats (I'm 99% sure it was Riff) decided to eat all of the chives. He nibbled them down to about half of their length and then started digging them out of the pot creating a mess of dirt on my floor, counter, and in my sink. This cat drives me insane. He's so cute but he is a terror. He pulls towels off their racks (and pulls the threads out making them all stringy), chases the other cats, and tries to pull on my yarn when I'm making things. One of them also keeps peeing on the rug in our master bath, no matter how many times I wash it and spray it with anything I can think of to keep them off it. I have since put a litter box up there and it's been a little better but not perfect.


Does anyone know any tips to keep your animals out of things? I saw at the store they have cherry wood spray but it seemed like that was more to keep the animal from biting or licking their own injuries. I need an anti cat force field to put around things I don't want them getting into.

7 comments:

  1. Cats just can't resist certain plants, they will latch onto anything tender and chew away; maddening, I know. I've had large plants that cats have gotten into and used the soil for a litter box; for them, plants and dirt represent being in the great outdoors.

    As far as the peeing, that is an issue. Washing and spraying never fully removes the scent left behind, that's why they keep returning to that spot. Some people sprinkle white pepper on an area where cats have peed; might be worth a try.

    Sending you this link for a product that my animal rescuer daughter recommended; might be worth a try. Pricey but, according to her, effective. It comes in various forms, even a wall plug-in that gives-off a fragrance which helps keep cats away from a given area.

    http://www.feliway.com/us/About-Feliway/What-is-Feliway-R

    Make a defined litter box area and, if possible, keep the door closed to your master bath, see if that deters them.

    Remember that YOU live with your cats, not the other way around, lol. At this very moment, one of mine has, once again, just pushed me out of my desk chair as I'm writing this post; he does it all the time. Big house with plenty of places to snuggle but he chooses my chair...sigh.

    Good luck,

    Patty

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a little stinker! i have no idea how to train a cat in these things but i wish you the best in trying to figure it out! lol haaavvvvveee fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cat nip! Offers a good distraction. New toys occasionally.

    I don't know if you have outdoor or indoor cats, but our kitties have to live indoors. One of them hate sit so I occasionally take her out on a harness and a leash so she can enjoy the outside.

    I just realized I hadn't actually 'followed' you. I've started reading from the list of people I follow instead of my blogroll and it only occurred to me today that I haven't read a post from you in awhile. Now I'm following you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your cat is adorable.. he reminds me of Sheba (my Siamese cat who now leaves with my parents) when he was young...sigh those were the good days!!!
    Anyway, if you find a solution about keeping them away from things...let me know hehehe!! I don't believe that anything could actually stop the curiosity of the cat!!! Mine, has 3 scratching posts, but constantly prefers our couch uuuggghhh!!!!!!!!! I will declaw him!!! naahh I'm just kidding I would never do that!!
    @Slidecutter, I had a good laugh with your last part with your desk chair!!I can totally relate to that!!! hahahah


    Eleni

    ReplyDelete
  5. Try to maybe have more than one litter box, maybe he doesn't like to share his "Area", and it keeps the boxes cleaner. As for the eating the plants....They have grass specifically for kitties to eat, maybe he feels he's missing some green in his diet.You can even grow your own! (Wheat grass) Even though kitties are spose to be 100% carnivorous!


    Do make sure they plants in your house aren't toxic

    http://www.aspca.org/Pet-care/poison-control/plant-list-cats.aspx


    Here's an article on the history of growing grass for cats! Directions are half way down the page. Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  6. BUT Just stick to the grass. They don't need nuts, or fruits. AND please don't feed your dog or cats a raw meat diet...just trust me on this. Let the kitties stick to the mice!


    Here's an article...

    http://www.purinaone.com/cooltools/nutrition101.aspx?articleid=a1423fe9-fab2-4dc6-8ada-1ff34cfe76c8&species=dog

    ReplyDelete
  7. My cat (rest his little soul) use to eat mint from the neighbors garden. He would always come home smelling like mint. I remember trying to figure out ways to keep my kitty away from certain things, and someone recommended using pepper. It didn't really work for me, but you can try it.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are like rainbows and sunshine with a few unicorns added in. Thanks for leaving one. :)