3.29.2011

Idaho Finger Steaks & Cocktail Sauce.


Have you heard of finger steaks? I hadn't until I met Jake. From what I've heard, "they're an Idaho thing." People think of potatoes when they think of Idaho, but according to Idahoans, we should be thinking of finger steaks. These things are one of Jake's favorite foods ever, I mean, as soon as we moved to Idaho this is the first thing we had to go get.

After several trips to the local diner for finger steaks I decided I would make them myself. Jake was pretty dubious about my finger steak making abilities. I looked around on the internet until I found the supposed original recipe from the Torch Cafe in Boise.

The batter is really thick and smells delicious. 
Ingredients:
1 1/2 c. milk
1 tsp. dried thyme
1 tsp. marjoram
1 tsp. salt (all of the comments recommend to skip this step or it ends up too salty, I skipped it)
2 Tbs. seasoned salt
3/4 Tbs. Worcestershire
2 1/2 c. flour
oil for deep frying
3 lbs. beef tenderloin cut into small strips

Mix first 6 ingredients in a bowl. Slowly mix in flour until you have a nice thick batter. Refrigerate for 2 hours.

Heat oil in a pot. You don't have to use a lot, just enough to completely cover the strips of meat. I heated mine to medium, if the oil is too hot it'll cook the meat too quickly and burn it.

Cover the strips in batter, gently set in the bottom of the pot to cook. Be sure to wear long sleeves so the oil that splatters won't burn you. Cook them in small batches so they don't stick together. It takes about 5 min. per batch.

I ended up cutting larger pieces with a knife and going back and cutting them into smaller strips with scissors.
Now, if you're going to have finger steaks you must also have either bbq or cocktail sauce. Jake wanted cocktail sauce so I decided to try my hand at making that as well.

Ingredients:
2 Tbs. grated horseradish root (I just used creamy horseradish I had in the fridge)
1 tsp. brown sugar
1/8 tsp. fresh lemon juice
6 Tbs. ketchup

Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl and refrigerate. Adjust the amount of horseradish to your tastes.

I asked if these were as good as the ones from the restaurant and Jake just nodded as his mouth was stuffed with finger steaks. He's been asking me to make more ever since, definitely a keeper.

10 comments:

  1. OH MY! This looks so dang good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had never heard of these before. They remind me of chicken fried steak or a beef version of chicken fingers. I will have to try them. Thanks for the recipe!

    -A @SM
    {http://sweetlymade.blogspot.com}

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that is a hunk of meat! Love your steak fingers. Got a feeling my kids will too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. those look great! Never had this before either. Very nice!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow if i wasn't vegan i'd scarf those! who am i kidding no i wouldn't i hate beef, could you make those out of zucchini or something? the pics do make it look good though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. YUM! Sounds like steak fingers from Dairy Queen. Sooo bad but soooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now they look delish!

    Popping in from the Tasty Tuesday blog hop and am following ... :0)

    Shirl x

    ReplyDelete
  8. If I've learned anything, battering and frying will make anything taste good! But beef? Never heard of that before, but seems like it's worth a try. I love finger food and this seems like a perfect dinner for veggin out in front of the tv :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beef chicken fingers...hm...could be interesting.

    I'm too afraid to cook with bubbling hot oil though. What if I burn my eye out?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great option to serve a crowd.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are like rainbows and sunshine with a few unicorns added in. Thanks for leaving one. :)