9.28.2011

Fruit & Crashes.



Jake and I went over to the neighbor's and picked a bunch of plums and grapes. They taste amazing. The house we got them from is vacant but the owner gave the other neighbor permission to pick them and so he let us into the backyard and said it was okay. I know that there has been some controversy lately over harvesting from vacant homes, especially when some of them weren't actually vacant.

It cracked me up that a neighbor offered to let us use one of their boxes (we were unaware of the plums and only took one box) that had once been full of "real fruit" fruit snacks where the second ingredient is high fructose corn syrup, when they had this bounty of fresh fruit, for free, right next door.

On an unrelated note, my dad wrecked his Harley over the weekend which really stressed me out. I dislike being so far away when he's in the hospital. The bike was pretty badly damaged but luckily he only broke his heel. He's going to have to have surgery and will have a long recovery time but at least he's alive. The very first thing that smacked the ground was his head, but as he lives in Oregon, he was wearing a helmet which probably saved his life. I just want to appeal to any of you who ride but live in a state without helmet laws, please, please, please, wear a helmet. My dad is an experienced rider who has been riding for years and rides frequently, you never know what will happen out on the road so please take precautions to protect your life.

7 comments:

  1. wow lady that is a bunch of fruit! plum and grape jam?? oh your poor dad!! glad he only hurt his heel and nothing more but still very very scary. wow the heel and surgery! he must have shattered? well i hope him a speedy recovery!
    xo,
    cb

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO GLAD your dad is okay. As a neuroscientist, I have heard story after story of people with massive brain damage due to not wearing helmets on motorcycles. Praying for a quick recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yum on the fresh fruit!
    and i agree helmet is a must. and i'm happy your dad is okay. but id be a nervous wreck. my dad lives 15 mins away and when he had his stroke i was going crazy. so i can't imagine how you must have felt.

    hope he's doing better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am SO sorry about your dad, miss. And you know, helmets are wonderful no matter what - Jen wore one when she went bull riding and the bull head stepped on the helmet, breaking the plastic, but she was fine. Imagine if that was her head. Urgh, makes me sick.

    I was beyond someone at the food bank yesterday that lost her arm in a Harley crash. Gah.

    I hope your dad has a happy, healthy and speedy recovery. <3

    Also, grapes!!! <3 And I love plums too, but I've only had 'em dried, never fresh... I must try them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry to hear about your dad. Glad he's okay! My best friend's dad recently had a similar experience...head first off his bike and everything. He only has a fractured fibula...so that was a relief.

    Those grapes look ah-mazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to hear about your father. Maybe you could send him some fresh fruit, no?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm excited to see what you decide to do with that fruit. It looks amazing and it was FREE!

    I'm in Utah where helmets are optional and it still stuns me to see so many people taking unnecessary risks with their lives by not wearing them. Even if they are experienced riders, there are a lot of inexperienced drivers who wreak havoc on the roads.

    So glad your Dad is okay and bloggy world wishes him a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are like rainbows and sunshine with a few unicorns added in. Thanks for leaving one. :)