I've seen a really pretty doily table runner all over pinterest lately and I loved the look of it but wasn't willing to spend the time crocheting that many doilies. I've heard you can get doilies on the cheap at the dollar store but they were $9 each at JoAnns and I was looking for more frugal options.
| My grapefruit pincushion is from SeaPinks. |
As I wanted to use only materials that I already had, I rifled through my embroidery stash to find some colors of thread that would do the job.
I already had a lot of felt so I decided to use that and I chose hearts rather than doilies. This table runner is really easy to make.
First, cut a bunch of hearts, of all different sizes. Use the technique learned in grade school where you fold the piece of felt in half and cut the outline of half a heart.
Once you have all of your hearts cut, lay them out on the table and decide how you want them to arrange them.
Once you've done that, pin them in place.
Next, you'll begin to sew the pieces together. Be sure to use thread that matches the color of the heart that will be on top. So if you have yellow overlapping a blue piece, you'll use yellow thread so it'll blend right in.
Once you've got them all sewn together, you're done. Easy peasy! The sewing part is kind of time consuming but really it isn't that bad. I think this would look adorable using a cotton fabric with soft floral designs. I really need to work on a fabric stash, mine is basically non-existent.
Right after I took this picture Ahi, who was hiding under the table, jumped up and tried to eat my roses. Not cool, kitteh.
I linked up at Somewhat Simple and Paisley Passions.


That is GORGEOUS! What a fantastic idea. :D I love how sweet and colorful the table is now. ^_^ I can imagine this being especially fun around Valentine's Day! Or heck, any day!
ReplyDeleteAw, that's cute! I love that you used what you had on hand - I'm really bad about that. ;)
ReplyDeleteThat's so nice. It's like a simple beauty.
ReplyDeleteHow beautiful!! What a lovely idea!
ReplyDeleteThat is gorgeous. I think I may steal the idea. I'm envisioning a wall hanging though!
ReplyDeleteI'll have to remember this for x-mas gift ideas.
You rock, per usual.
Adorable!! You are so crafty. Want to come to my house and decorate it with your awesome style?!? haha
ReplyDeletei love your heart runner! so cute and wool is such a great fiber...i work with it everyday <3
ReplyDeletexo,
cb
I love the runner and your table looks amazing! Great job!!! I am impressed. I can't wait to get started on my own building projects this summer. You are inspiring.
ReplyDeleteI heart this Jordan, no pun intended!
ReplyDeleteMade me think about tons of threads and books stored away for all the Cross Stitch pieces I used to do...when I had time.
If I could only go into hiding where no one could find me and get busy crafting again..sigh.
what a clever solution!! and it turned out so pretty!!!
ReplyDelete