1.12.2011

Things.

One of my classes has a volunteering requirement at a place of my choice that assists families living in poverty. I chose St. Anne's Center which is a homeless shelter/soup kitchen. Today was my first day there. I did a bunch of random things, one of which was to hang Valentine's Day decorations made by kindergartners from a local elementary school. While hanging these heart shaped people I overheard two men talking and it was perhaps the most heartbreaking thing I've ever heard in my life. One man has been homeless for awhile and was giving the other man tips on which shelters will house single men...with children. Each of these men has two kids, all under the age of 7 and they're all homeless. Many shelters will gladly take women and their children but not many will take men with their children because a lot of the woman headed families are ones that have left and are homeless because of domestic violence so they don't allow men in these facilities. The facilities that do house men usually don't house families which leaves these single fathers with few options. I can't even imagine being homeless, let alone with small children to take care of.

In other news, PtheD no longer lives here. He and Jake's mom got into it last night and she kicked him out. I mean, he was already kicked out but Jake isn't here right now so he just never moved out on Sunday like he was supposed to. We changed all the locks but refused to give him a key so he'd been texting every night asking us to leave the door unlocked. Well, last night he didn't text so I assumed he was staying at one of his lady friends houses so I locked the door. He woke Jake's mom up at 12:30 for her to let him in (she gets up for work at 2:30) and then he wasn't at the door. She went back to bed and he called her and said some smart ass comment like, "are you going to let me in or what?" which pissed her off. Then they got into a screaming match which woke me (and the neighborhood) up and she kicked him out. She made him get his stuff and get out of the house. Fine by me, it saved me the trouble of having to make it happen. That guy is such a moron. I had hard boiled eggs and he ate them all and replaced them in the bowl with raw eggs. I went to make egg salad sandwiches and when I rolled the egg on the counter to crack it, it made a giant mess as it was actually raw. What a fucking douche bag. I mean seriously, who does that? I really hope I never have to see him again, ever, because it will not be pretty if I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are like rainbows and sunshine with a few unicorns added in. Thanks for leaving one. :)