One day I was reading a blog,
Lovely Morning, and she had posted about making buttermilk pancakes when they had fresh buttermilk after making butter. She gave the recipe for the pancakes but I was more intrigued with the idea of making butter. I realized from reading
Little House on the Prairie as a child that people made butter but I never considered that they still do. Ever since then I had been wanting to try it.

The
first entry on google was about making it by shaking cream in a jar. You can put some marbles in the jar to help the process go more quickly but basically you shake it until it becomes butter. Fuck that. I tried it for about 10 minutes, decided I was going to get tennis elbow and gave up. I did manage to get it to a whipped cream consistency before giving up though. Next I found
instructions on using an electric beater and finished it up that way which was a zillion times easier and faster. I would recommend skipping the shaking unless you have a little kid you need to get out of your hair and you can make them shake it.

In the end, I had two little jars like this half full of butter. I gave one to my friend Buzzy and kept one. Making your own butter is cool because you can decide if you want to add salt or not plus it's super fun. I'll definitely be doing this from now on. The final product came out really yummy and slightly sweet tasting. Next time I want to try to make some garlic butter.
Damn. Major blogathon going on here. Anyway, I tried some of the butter last night with some popcorn. It was tasty. Thanks! I'm going to tackle making an apple pie today.
ReplyDeleteI had to play catch up. Pie looks good from the pic on fb.
ReplyDeleteTotally cool. I want to do this with the kids... and then if we have buttermilk too we can make pancakes to go with it. Love the post.
ReplyDelete