The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd was a New York Times bestseller and has been made into a movie. I've never seen the movie but I quite liked the book. It's one of those books that you know will have a happy ending and everything will work out okay but that doesn't take away any of the enjoyment. The protagonist is a young white girl living in South Carolina in the '60s who runs away with her black maid, Rosaleen, from her asshole father and ends up living with three black women in a pink house, one of whom owns a honey business. The story is of the girl, Lily Owens, coming to terms with her past (she may have accidentally killed her mother at the age of 4) and working through her struggles. It's your basic, generic, feel good novel but I enjoyed it as the story is interesting and paints a picture of life and the changes that were taking place when the Civil Rights Act was put into effect.
5.29.2010
The Secret Life of Bees.
The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd was a New York Times bestseller and has been made into a movie. I've never seen the movie but I quite liked the book. It's one of those books that you know will have a happy ending and everything will work out okay but that doesn't take away any of the enjoyment. The protagonist is a young white girl living in South Carolina in the '60s who runs away with her black maid, Rosaleen, from her asshole father and ends up living with three black women in a pink house, one of whom owns a honey business. The story is of the girl, Lily Owens, coming to terms with her past (she may have accidentally killed her mother at the age of 4) and working through her struggles. It's your basic, generic, feel good novel but I enjoyed it as the story is interesting and paints a picture of life and the changes that were taking place when the Civil Rights Act was put into effect.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Comments are like rainbows and sunshine with a few unicorns added in. Thanks for leaving one. :)